Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

damon
      Participant

Hi have a Raspberry Pi running as a media centre, connected to an external hard drive. However the SD card with XBMC finally died and became corrupt.

Unfortunately XBMC is no longer available and has become Kodi, and variations of it. My problem is that when I install a Kodi operating system onto a new SD card, I can not find out where my external hard drive is on the file structure.

I keep getting little pop-up screens saying that the external drive has been mounted but I can not find it. I have tried several websites and forum discussions but I still can not either find the external drive or mount it. It does not matter whether I plug the external drive direct into the Raspberry Pi or through a small USB hub.

Any ideas where the External Drive would be in the file structure, or how I could get my hands on an old version of XBMC before it upgraded to Kodi?

Heyman
      Participant

If you are getting a message saying your drive has been mounted, it has probably been mounted…so you need to figure out where.

Go to a terminal and type lsblk

The information you get back will list all the discs available to your computer, whether mounted or not. If something is mounted, it will tell you where. On Linux computers, a common place the system to auto-mount USB drives is /mnt or sometimes /media so if you aren’t sure look in those locations. If you still aren’t sure, run the command with and without the drive plugged in so you can see which entry disappears when you unplug the drive.

If it is listed as available but doesn’t have a mount point you will need to mount it. I won’t give you commands until we have established if you actually need to do this.

damon
        Participant

I don’t think it’s possible to run a command line with Kodi running.

Heyman
          Participant

SSH into it, then? Or quit Kodi? You don’t need Kodi running to see the mounts; the OS mounts the mounts; Kodi only accesses the mounted devices.

And type ‘mount’? That ought to list all the mounts…

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

[snax_content]